|Winner of General Elections 2009 in Sreerampur is KALYAN BANERJEE (AITC)|
|Kalyan Banerjee||AITC||Flowers and Grass||10B Nafar Kundu Road Kolkata 700 026||569725|
|Santasri Chatterjee||CPM||Hammer Sickle and Star||5 MADHUSUDAN BANERJEE LANEP.O.& P.S. UTTARPARADIST: HOOGHLY PIN: 712258||432535|
|Debabrata Chowdhury||BJP||Lotus||VERMA FLAT NO. D/11/A 35 LAWRENCE STREET UTTARPARA HOOGHLY PIN-712258||38476|
|Sekh Soleman||IND||Candles||VILL-BARUNDA P.S-BAGNAN HOWRAH P.O-BARUNDA.||14252|
|Pradip Ghosh||AUDF||Lock and Key||VILL - KALIPUR BAJARPARA P.O.- GARALGACHA DIST- HOOGHLY PIN- 712708||11803|
|Rakesh Kumar Gautam||BSP||Elephant||3/173/A/2 DR B C ROY SARANI RISHRA HOOGHLY 712250||7245|
|Amitava Bhattacharya||IND||Nagara||40/1A JAINNUDIN MISTRI LANE WARD NO. 82 KOLKATA-700027||3718|
|Chiranjit Naskar||IND||Bat||VILL : 3 NO DEBIRPARA P.O. CHAMRAIL P.S. LILUAH DIST : HOWRAH.||3648|
|Year||Voter Turnout Percentage||Winner Candidate||Percentage||Party||Runnerup Candidate||Percentage||Party|
|2004||73.62||SANTASRI CHATTERJEE||42.7||CPM||AKBAR ALI KHANDOKER||40.62||AITC|
|1999||69.87||Akbor Ali Khandoker||45.14||AITC||Sudarsan Roy Chaudhury||39.9||CPM|
|1998||76.29||Akbor Ali Khandoker||44.68||WBTC||Sudarsan Ray Chaudhuri||40.14||CPM|
|1996||79.28||Pradip Bhattacharya||46.44||INC||Sudarsan Roy Chaudhuri||45.87||CPM|
|1991||72.31||Sudarsan Roy Chowdhury||46.21||CPM||Bimalkanti Ghosh||40.6||INC|
|1989||76.96||Sudarsan Ray Chowdhuri||53.02||CPM||Bimal Kanti Ghosh||44.77||INC|
|1984||76.7||Bimal Kanti Ghosh||51.5||INC||Ajit Bag||46.9||CPM|
|1980||64.8||Dinen Bhattacharya||59.93||CPM||Gopal Das Nag||38.23||INC(I)|
|1977||62.44||Dinen Bhattacharya||68.38||CPM||Jadu Gopal Sen||31.62||CPI|
GeographySerampore is located at . It has an average elevation of 17 m (56 ft).
The early townThe town is several centuries old and has witnessed both the growth and decline of the feudal system, the coming of the Danes and their settlement and then a cultural renaissance (known as the Bengal Renaissance) initiated by the British following the construction of the east Indian railway, along with subsequent industrial development.
The town growsThere were three main phases in the process of urbanisation of Serampore:
- The Pre-urbanisation phase (the period before 1755);
- The Urbanisation phase (from 1755 to 1854); and
- The Industrialisation phase (1854 to 1947).
- Henry Martin's Pagoda,
- The temple of Radhaballabhjeu in Ballabhpur (eighteenth century),
- The Ram-Sita temple in Sripur and
- The temple of Gauranga in Chatra dating back to the 16th century.
Danish ruleFor the following hundred years, the urbanization phase began with the arrival of the Danes and their acquisition of land in the area, as part of the Danish colonial empire. Later, in the mid-eighteenth century, the Danish East India Company sent Soetman to the Nawab of Bengal. Their intention was to secure a Parwana (district jurisdiction) allowing them the right to do business in Bengal. Soetman obtained the parwana by paying fifty thousand Rupees in cash to Nawab Alivardi Khan, along with many gifts. In 1755 Soetman purchased three bighas of land at Sripur on the riverfront and then another fifty-seven bighas at Akna for the building of a new factory and port, which the Danes governed from Tranquebar as part of Danish India. Subsequently the Danes acquired the Serampore, Akna and Pearapur mahals by paying an annual rent of Sicca Rs 1601/- to the zamindar (tax farmer) of Sheoraphuli. During the first ten to fifteen years of their settlement, the Danish merchants faced various problems and after 1770 they started making significant progress in trade and commerce and in town area. Thereafter, Danish laws were promulgated. The Danes worked hard for the success of their trade; their prosperity from trade came by way of:
- (1) Exporting the merchandise of other European merchants and remitting the accumulated wealth earned by surreptitious and personal trade by English civilians to their homes through bills drawn on the Danish company, and
- (2) The able administrative performance of Colonel Ole Bie, who had been appointed the first Crown- regent of Serampore in 1776. His farsightedness, administrative acumen and diplomatic qualities were a boon to the Danes and their settlement.
- mutsuddis and
Marshman & Carey arriveThe beginning of the nineteenth century can be considered the most significant period in the history of Serampore, with the arrival of four English Missionaries - Joshua Marshman, Hannah Marshman, William Carey, and Willam Ward - who between them were the architects of the Serampore renaissance. Although they came chiefly for the purpose of preaching Christianity, they dedicated themselves to the service of ailing and distressed people in and around the town, spreading education, social reforms and social reconstruction. They established more than a hundred 'monitorial' schools in the region. Hannah Marshman established the first Girls' School at Serampore, which received much public approval. Carey made an outstanding contribution by founding the Serampore Mission Press in 1800 where the wooden Bangla types made by Panchanan Karmakar were installed. Perhaps the crowning work of Carey and his two associates was the establishment of the Serampore College in 1818 which acts both as a University through the Senate of Serampore College (University) and as an individual college Serampore College. The founders had to spend their last farthing on the construction of its magnificent buildings. It was also the first college in Asia to award a degree. Carey became famous as the father of Bangla prose. The Mission Press published three books - the Bangla translation of the Bible, Hitopadesh and Kathopakathan. Munshi Ramram Basu, the pundit appointed by Carey, brought out Pratapaditya Charit and the Bangla versions of the Ramayana and the Mahabharata. The first issue of the second Bangla daily, Samachar Darpan came out in 1818 under the editorship of Carey. At the same time, the Serampore Mission Press brought out the English daily, A Friend of India (precursor to The Statesman). Another outstanding contribution of the missionaries was the installation of India's first paper mill, set up by John Clark Marshman (the son of Joshua and Hannah Marshman) which was powered by a steam engine. Between 1801 and 1832 the Serampore Mission Press printed 212,000 copies of books in 40 different languages. In this cultural development, the local inhabitants had only a passive role. Only a few among the affluent, comprising absentee landlords and businessmen, seized the opportunity for higher education by sending their children to the academic institutions of the missionaries. On the other hand, people belonging to the lower economic stratum sent their children to the monitorial schools, which provided a basic education. In the process, there emerged a class of local gentry, who had a favourable attitude towards the missionaries.
Later yearsBetween 1801 and 1839 Danish trade and commerce as well as the civic life of Serampore experienced a severe decline. While in 1803, 113 European ships were loaded and unloaded at Serampore port, there was only 1 in 1815. The aggressive attitude of the British merchants located in Calcutta and their continuous harassment of the Danes in Serampore hit the company severely. The situation became so critical that the Danish Governor, Pater Hansen, was constrained to sell off the entire property to the English for a paltry sum of rupees of twelve lacs on 11 October 1845. During the last days of Danish rule in Serampore, the entire civic administration was completely disrupted.
British ruleOn 11 October 1845, it was sold to Britain, which integrated it in British India and officially restored the Bengali name. After taking possession of the town, the British began to look after its civic amenities and the earlier 'Village Committee' was transformed into the Serampore Municipality in 1865. Rishra and Konnagar were also included in it. At that time, the affluent high caste section of the Serampore population displayed no sign of modernisation, nor did they subscribe to an urban ethos. The Indian economy during the period was passing through a severe recession. There was continuous migration of rural people to the urban centres. Landless labourers from Uttar Pradesh, Andhra Pradesh, Bihar and Orissa came to Serampore in search of employment. When the second Jute Mill was opened in 1866 in Serampore (the first one was set up in Rishra in 1855) the town began to grow as an industrial town. Along with the Jute mills, many other subsidiary factories came up in the erstwhile rural areas within or on the fringes of the town. Thus, with the capital investment of the British the commercial town of Serampore was transformed into an industrial one. The deciding force behind the process was the laying of the railway line from Howrah to Burdwan in 1854. It ushered in a great change in the social composition of the town. Between 1866 and 1915, six more jute mills were established in Rishra, Serampore and Gondolpara. The local landlords, thikadars and mill-owners made arrangements for the habitation of the labour force around the factories. Thus at Mahesh, Akna, and Tarapukur mouzas adjacent to the Ganges, workers' colonies like Oriyabasti, Gayaparabasti, Chhapra basti and Telengipara basti were established. Because of the arrival of these migrant workers, the population in Serampore increased from 24,440 to 44,451 between 1872 and 1901. These habitations of labourers were mere unhygienic, overcrowded slums full of stench. There was no provision for even a minimum of civic amenities in their dwellings. In 1914, an arrangement was made to supply filtered potable water from the Municipality. The Town Hall was established in memory of Kishori Lal Goswami in 1927. At the initiative of the Government, the weaving school was founded during the thirties, and later on it was raised to the status of a Textile College. The municipality began to provide electricity in 1938. After fifty years of British possession, Serampore was swept by the waves of a Bengali cultural and nationalist movement. The spirit of nationalism influenced many youths from middle-class families. It resulted in the decline of foreign investment in industries. But there was an increase in indigenous investment. The Bangalakshmi Cotton Mill was founded out of the swadeshi spirit. From the beginning of the twentieth century many primary schools and educational institutions were set up at Serampore. The descendants of some of the older aristocratic families donated their residential buildings for benevolent purposes.
Post 1947Since 1947, Serampore has become a satellite of Kolkata (formerly Calcutta) and as such its process of urbanisation and change is as yet still incomplete.
PoliticsCPI(M) was MLA from this seat in 1977. Serampore assembly constituency is part of Serampore (Lok Sabha constituency).
DemographicsAs of 2001[update] India census, Serampore had a population of 197,955. Males constitute 53% of the population and females 47%. Serampore has an average literacy rate of 77%, higher than the national average of 59.5%: male literacy is 81%, and female literacy is 73%. In Serampore, 8% of the population is under 6 years of age.
Some Informations has been taken from Wikipedia
Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) released its Lok Sabha election manifesto on Friday in New Delhi promising to deal with the scourge of terror with an iron hand and also announced a host of populist measures if voted to power. The Bharatiya...
Congress MP and Bollywood actor Govinda is not seeking a ticket from Mumbai North constituency for the upcoming Lok Sabha polls. The BJP has fielded former union minister Ram Naik from the same constituency. Bollywood actor-MP Govinda will not stand for...
The Election commission on Monday announced dates for the 15th Lok Sabha elections , which will be held in five phases from April 16 to May 13. Lok Sabha poll schedule: 1st phase: April 16, 2009 (124 seats) 2nd phase: April 23, 2009(141...