NCP national general secretary Tariq Anwar was meeting a number of senior politicians who made a beeline for the party office after being denied ticket from their parties.
While Anwar was interviewing them, a panel headed by former minister Nawal Kishore Shahi was screening the applications in the adjoining room. “We have received 1,750 applications,” said Anwar and added that the first list would be announced on September 26.
The list of NCP candidates for contesting the six-phase assembly elections in Bihar would be declared phase wise, party national general sectretary Tariq Anwar today said. The first list would be declared two days ahead of filing nomnation papers for the first phase of elections, Anwar said. The filing of nomination papers for 47 assembly seats lying in north Bihar districts would commence from September 27 and end on October 4,2010 and the last date for withdrwal of nominations had been fixed for October 7.
“For the first time, the NCP is going to contest a large number of seats on its own and we are overwhelmed with the public support,” Anwar said, adding that the party may contest over 150 seats. He said that the party is focusing on Kishanganj, Katihar, Purnia, Araria, East and West Champaran, Siwan, Supaul, Sitamarhi, Muzaffarpur, Sasaram and Gaya districts.
Earlier, Anwar said, the NCP contested assembly election in Bihar in alliance with like-minded parties and used to get seven to eight seats under the seat-sharing arrangement. “It had an adverse impact on our party as it could not expand its base,” he added. In the last assembly election, the party had won only one seat.