MR. CHAIRMAN: Hon’ble Members, the 226th Session of the Rajya Sabha, which commenced on August 8th, 2012, comes to a close today.
It is likely to be remembered for the work that was not done. The data is in no need of commentary:
* 3 Government Bills were passed and two others,including Constitution (117th Amendment) Bill were introduced.
* Out of 399 Starred Questions listed, only 11 could be answered orally. The Question Hour could be conducted only on one of the 19 days.
* 8 Short Notice Questions were admitted but could not be discussed.
* Three Short Duration Discussions – on increase inprices of goods and services, deficient rainfall and impending drought in various parts of the country, and problems of food security – were listed but were not taken up.
* 4 Matters of Urgent Public Importance in the form of Calling Attentions were listed but could not be discussed.
* 3 Half-an-Hour Discussions were listed but could not be proceeded with.
* Altogether, about 62 hours were lost on account of disruptions. The new Chairman, Rajya Sabha, was welcomed in the
House on August 13, 2012. Prof. P.J. Kurien was elected as Deputy Chairman on August 21, 2012. I take this opportunity to thank the Leader of theHouse, the Leader of the Opposition, the Leaders of
different political parties and groups, and the Members for the courtesy extended by them during the Session.
I also thank the Deputy Chairman, the Members of the Panel of Vice Chairmen, the Secretary General, and the
officers and staff of the Secretariat for their help and cooperation. The House stands adjourned sine die.