|Winner of General Elections 2009 in Chittoor is NARAMALLI SIVAPRASAD (TDP)|
|Naramalli Sivaprasad||TDP||Bicycle||5-61-2 Thamburayan Street Sathyavedu||434065|
|Thippeswamy M||INC||Hand||12-121 Basavannakatta Street Palamaner||423252|
|Talari Manohar||PRAP||Railway Engine||5-9-22/35 Adarsh Nagar Hyderabad.||143836|
|Jayaram Duggani||BSP||Elephant||3-307/3A Captain Street Greamspet CHITTOOR||14297|
|G. Venkatachalam||LSP||Whistle||Thimmavaram Village Velampadu Post Srikalahasti Mandal.||13276|
|B.sivakumar||BJP||Lotus||Puthalapattu Village & Post Puthalapattu.||10886|
|A. Amarnadh||RKSP||Gas Cylinder||Nadimicherla Post Kalakada Mandal||3946|
District, Geography and locationChittoor is on the banks of Ponnai river at the southernmost part of Andhra Pradesh. The Chittoor district (Area 15,359 km², population 2,267,769-1991 census) is bounded by Anantapur District to the northwest, Cuddapah District to the north, Nellore District to the northeast, Vellore & Tiruvellore districts of Tamil Nadu state to the south, and Karnataka state to the southeast. The city is strategically located at the junction of Bangalore-Chennai national highway 4 and national highway 18. The town is famous for Kanipakam temple which is located in IRALA Mandal and in addition, the district is known for Tirupati, and Sri Kalahasti temples.
DemographicsTelugu is the official language. Telugu forms the most widely spoken language of the city. There is a significant Muslim speaking community who speak Urdu. Population 252,654 (2001 census). Chittoor town has a sex ratio of 1000: 985. The literacy rate of the town is 90.60%.
EconomyThough Chittoor is the district capital and houses many of district level government institutions, Tirupati holds the major economical activities of the district. Chittoor is predominantly an agro-market place for its district. It is a market center for mango, grain, sugarcane, and peanut. Industries include oilseed and rice milling. As the entry point for huge cluster of industries located in adjoining Vellore district esp. around Ranipet for Northern India, and strategically located in between Chennai and Bangalore, Chittoor boasts a busy logistics industry. It is quite common to see thousands of men and women from Chittoor travel to Tirupathi, Ranipet and Vellore for work and education, and this forms one of the major income to the city's population. State government's initiatives to develop the district making use of its proximity to two major business centers of the country - Chennai and Bangalore, is expected to improve the economy of the district as well as Chittoor to a great extent. Recent proposals of setting up of industrial parks around Tirupati by the state government has given a significant boost to the region's economic activities. Chittoor's leading industry and largest employer is Amararaja Group employing over 3,600 people. It is home to NutrineConfectionaries, a major chocolate manufacturer in India, which was acquired by Godrej group in 2007. The ISRO Radar Center is located at Gadanki, on the Chittoor-Tirupati Highway. Poultry industry has a significant industry here, which is second only to Namakkal. Mango and tamarind groves surround the town of Chittoor, and cattle are raised in the district. It's also famous for mangos ( called as collector/totapari/chittoor variety) and jaggery. It exports nearly 500 Million Tonnes of Raw / Processed Pulp / Fruit to other countries. Around 200 small & medium scale granite industries function in and around Chittoor. Vijaya Diary was one of the federations to process milk on a large scale in the district. Incidentally, it is largest unit in the country after AMUL (Gujarat). Madanapalle is the center of an agricultural region noted for its fruits and vegetables, especially tomatoes. The district is also famous for hospitals like T.B.Sanitorium which is located in Arogyavaram, 5km from Madanapalle, Apollo Hospital at Arragonda. Rishi Valley, near Horsely Hills is noted for its residential education Gurukula. One of India's greatest philosopher, Jiddu Krishnamurti chose this site to set up his Jiddu krishnamurti foundation as well as Rishi valley school, one of India's elite boarding schools.
TourismChittoor district boasts few of the finest ancient/modern temples of the country such as Tirumala, Kanipakkam and Sri Kalahasti. Along with the adjoining Vellore district (esp. after the unveiling of Sripuram Golden Temple), Chittoor district forms one of the biggest tourism cluster in the country. Also, enormous Archeological finding in the region marks the region on the maps of Historians. Huge collection of antiques mostly with modern Tamil and old Telugu scripts which date back to early as 10th century have been unearthed from the region, can be found in various museums in Tirupati, Chittoor and Vellore. Tirupati temple is the most visited and richest temple in India, often receiving 200,000 visitors a day. Horsley Hills, formerly called Enugu Mallamma Konda, is a summer resort located near the town of Madanapalle. It is known to some as the "Andhra Ooty". Gurramkonda, in the western part of the district, is an historic center, with an old fort and a sultan's palace called the Rangini Mahal. Other notable places in the district are Ardhagiri, Chandragiri .
HotelsBans The Hotel(3 Star) Accommodaton,Dining & Water Park,website:www.bansc.in, Coll No.09704771333 Nirmala Bar Residency ... Near Dharga..Chittoor Hotel Alankar and Lodge,Vellore road ph:233232,231442
- District stands among top districts in terms of the prevalence of HIV in the country. The large workforce, predominantly low skilled; involved in logistics sector, and huge tribal population across the district; forms a significant reason for this fact. Initiatives taken by NGOs and Government organizations have given hope to make the situation better in recent years.
- Due to the dry geography of the region, esp. during dry monsoon years, farmers have been repeatedly advised to cultivate dry crops; which in turn has seen least reaction.
- The tourism infrastructure setup here is quite below the national index, which can be improved to host increasing tourist inflow.
- The much discussed Chennai-Bangalore industrial corridor might improve the economical status of the region, but not much activities have been seen on regard to this after the principal acceptance by the Prime Minister in 2008.
Educational InstitutionsChittoor is home of many reputed educational institutions. The notable ones are: High Schools and Junior Colleges:
- Sri Vani Vidyalaya,Santhapet, Chittoor.
- P.N.C.Municipal High School, Santhapet, Chittoor.
- Kings English School,Chittoor
- Camford group of Schools, Chittoor & Madanapalle
- Municipal High School, Greamspet, Chittoor
- Good Shepherd Senior Secondary School, Chittoor
- Vidya Vihar High School,Chittoor
- Sri Vivekanada Educational Academy, Chittoor (Junior college)
- B.Z. High School, Chittoor.
- S.V.Z.P High School, Kanipakam, Chittoor.
- PCR Govt junior college, Chittoor.
- Varadappa Naidu Municipal School, Chittoor.
- B.S. Kannan Govt High School and Junior College.
- B.V.Reddy School,Chittoor.
- Sir C.R.Reddy High School,Chittoor.
- Little Flower High School, Chittoor.
- PCR Govt High School, Chittoor
- Sri Harsha E M School, Chittoor
- P.V.K.N Govt Degree College, Chittoor, 517001 (NAAC Certified)
- Sri Venkateswara College of Engineering and Technology(SVCET), Chittoor.
- Sreenivasa Institute of Technology and Management Studies (SITAMS), Chittoor
- Allahabad Bank.
- Andhra Bank -3 Darga Chowk,
- Andhra Bank-1 Highroad.
- Andhra Bank-2 Kongareddypalli,
- Axis Bank.
- Bank of India.
- Canara Bank.
- Central Bank of India.
- Corporation bank.
- Indian bank-1 Shesparain street.
- Indian bank-2 Kongareddypalli.
- Indian bank-3 Greamspet.
- Indian overseas Bank.
- IndusInd Bank.
- ING Vysya Bank.
- Karur Vysya Bank.
- Lakshami Vilas Bank.
- Punjab National Bank.
- Saptagiri Grameena Bank.
- State Bank of Hyderabad.
- State Bank of India-1 Highroad.
- State Bank of India-2 Greamspet.
- Syndicate Bank.
- Union Bank of India.
- Vijaya bank.
- Andhra Bank-1,Alankar Hotel.
- Andhra Bank-2,Darga circle.
- Andhra Bank-3,Kongareddypalli.
- Axis Bank-1,Highroad.
- Axis Bank-2,Greamspet.
- Axis Bank-3,Kongareddypalli.
- Corporation Bank,Near Gandhi Statue.
- ICICI Bank,Highroad.
- Indian overseas Bank,Naidu buildings.
- IndusInd Bank-1,Naidubuildings.
- IndusInd Bank-2,B.V Reddy Petrolbunk.
- Indian Bank-1,Kongareddypalli.
- Indian Bank-2,Near Gandhi Statue.
- Karur Vysya Bank,Shesparain street.
- Punjab National Bank,Shesparain street.
- State Bank of India -1 (SBI Chittoor Branch prmises),Highroad.
- SBI-2,SBI Greamspet Branch Premises,(two tellers).
- SBI-3,Railway station.
- SBI-4,Shesparain street.
- Syndicate Bank,DI Road.
- Union Bank of India-1,Church street.
- Union Bank of India-2,Near old bustand.
- Vijaya Bank,Highroad.
Assembly ConstituencyChittoor is an assembly constituency in Andhra Pradesh. There are 1,74,663 registered voters in Chittoor constituency in 1999 elections. List of Elected Members:
- 1955 - P Chinnama Reddy (INC)
- 1962 - C D Naidu(Swatantra Party)
- 1967 - D. Anianeyulu Naidu (INC)
- 1972 - D. Anianeyulu Naidu (INC)
- 1978 - N.P.Venkateswara Chowdary
- 1983 - Jhansi Laxmi (TDP)
- 1985 - R. Gopinathan
- 1989, 1994 ,1999 - C K Jayachandra Reddy (C K Babu) (Indian National Congress)
- 2004 - A.S.Manohar(TDP) (Sitting MLA)
Parliamentary ConstituencyList of Elected Members:
- 1977 - P. RAJAGOPAL NAIDU (Indian National Congress)
- 1980 - P. RAJAGOPAL NAIDU (Indian National Congress I)
- 1984 - N.P.JHANSI LAKSHMI (Telugu Desam Party)
- 1989 - GNANENDRA REDDY (Indian National Congress)
- 1991 - M. GNANENDRA REDDY (Indian National Congress)
- 1996 - N.RAMAKRISHNA REDDY (Telugu Desam Party)
- 1998 - NUTHANAKALVA RAMAKRISHNA REDDY (Telugu Desam Party)
- 1999 - NOOTHANA KALVA RAMAKRISHNA REDDY (Telugu Desam Party)
- 2004 - D.K. AADIKESAVULU (Telugu Desam Party) (Sitting MP)
Notable personalities from Chittoor district
- Sarvepalli Radhakrishnan (the then President& Vice president of India) had completed his school education in P.M.high School, near by Gajulamandyam,Renigunta in this district. Before becoming the president he was the Vice Chancellor of Andhra University, Visakhapatnam
- Sri. K. Sabha (Noted Writer, Poet, Journalist and Social worker)
- Nara Chandrababu Naidu, Former Chief Minister of Andhra Pradesh
- Chittoor Subramaniam Pillai, a Carnatic musician who studied under Kanchipuram Naina Pillai was born in Chittoor. He was renowned for his unfaltering laya and had a rich and powerful voice.
- Jiddu Krishnamurti, World Renowned philosopher and Popular Spiritual preacher is from Madanapalle town.
- Cattamanchi Ramalinga Reddy, Educationalist, Founder & Vice-chancellor of Andhra University,Visakhapatnam
- Prathap C. Reddy, Chairman of Apollo Hospitals
- Chittoor V. Nagaiah, Actor in First TELUGU film was born here, popularly known as Chittoor Nagaiah .did a great contribution to early Telugu film industry.
Some Informations has been taken from Wikipedia
Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) released its Lok Sabha election manifesto on Friday in New Delhi promising to deal with the scourge of terror with an iron hand and also announced a host of populist measures if voted to power. The Bharatiya...
Congress MP and Bollywood actor Govinda is not seeking a ticket from Mumbai North constituency for the upcoming Lok Sabha polls. The BJP has fielded former union minister Ram Naik from the same constituency. Bollywood actor-MP Govinda will not stand for...
The Election commission on Monday announced dates for the 15th Lok Sabha elections , which will be held in five phases from April 16 to May 13. Lok Sabha poll schedule: 1st phase: April 16, 2009 (124 seats) 2nd phase: April 23, 2009(141...